Andrej Maihorn on What’s Next for E-Commerce
Find out what industry veteran Andrej has to say about the future of e-commerce:
- How did smartphones change the market?
- What does headless mean and why is it important?
- What’s the next big thing in e-commerce?
- How to build the e-commerce solution you want
- My advice: aim for the stars, start with the moon
The huge shift in the software market
Somewhere around 2006 – 2012, we saw a massive shift in the software market overall. In the e-commerce space, one of the earliest adopters of this shift was Stephan Schambach with Demandware. Schambach recognized the need to move towards a lower cost of ownership model, and he was a founder of one of the first packaged e-commerce software solutions (Intershop). During that time, he actually witnessed a shift from licensed software to SaaS platforms. While it was still a full-stack solution, the infrastructure and operational aspects were managed by the vendor, which allowed merchants to focus more on the business side of things.